Thursday, April 17, 2014

The song of a bird

I'm not sure what kind of bird it is but he always comes when I need him. He sits in the tree of my neighbors yard and sings to me. When I have had an especially hard day or wonder if I'm alone in this great big world I hear this bird. It might be crazy but something whispers to my heart and soul that God is watching me and is aware of my needs and that He loves me. And this bird is a symbol of all the things I sometimes forget and need to hear. I am reminded of a poem my friend sent me years ago, that has since been lost (I wish I could find it), about how God sends all these things to show us He loves us and yet if we aren't paying attention we could miss it all. The man wonders where God has been in his life and God says did you not see the tree I left for you or the rainbow I sent or the bird to sing to you? We truly have to open our eyes to the wonder and majesty of this beautiful earth and see that God created it all, for us, because of His deep and abiding love for each of us. He sends me the song of a bird to cheer my weary heart. Just this morning it sang to me as I pulled weeds, telling me that all will be well. "Be still, and Know that I am God. Be still. Be still."

"Whenever I hear the song of a bird, or look at the blue, blue sky.
Whenever I feel the rain on my face, or the wind as it rushes by.
Whenever I touch a velvet rose or walk by a lilac tree.
I'm glad that I live in this beautiful world. Heavenly Father created for me."

This is one of my favorite songs. I feel so blessed because of the beauty of this earth and especially for the song of a particular bird.