Friday, February 8, 2013

LIGHTBULB!

So my life has been far from perfect. Health wise it has really been a kicker. I finally got tired of being tired. My friend and neighbor has given the best gift. She told me "I think you might have Hashimoto's." Finally it clicked. Everything that I have been struggling with finally made such perfect sense and I had a deep clarity amidst the brain fog. So I e-mailed my endocrinologist right away to see if I had been tested for it. No. But he says everyone who has a thyroid problem has Hashimotos. Uh? No. That 's not true but for me it is. Has to be. So what do you do when you have an autoimmune disease? Well for starters I started back on a gluten free, sugar free diet. What do you mean I started back? Well let me tell you. After I had Benji I lost all my baby weight really fast. It was awesome. Then I got pregnant and had a miscarriage when Benji was about 6 months old. (Not planned.) After that my weight ballooned but I didn't think anything of it. Just thought it was a side affect of getting preggo because with Benji I put on 15 pounds in the first month or two. So about 6 months after that I got sick of the weight and decided I was going to eat better. I started buying more organic foods and noticed I felt a lot better. I started running. I noticed I wasn't feeling too good though after eating bread so I wondered if I had a gluten intolerance. So I went gluten free. The weight started to come off. I felt good. It took me 6 months but I lost the 35 pounds I had gained after my miscarriage. Then soon after that I got pregnant with James. Fast forward to last week when this epiphany began. I think I have had Hashimotos for a long time. Like 6 years. It wasn't until I developed a goiter 3 years ago that I was finally diagnosed. And at the time I was checked when I was overweight pre James but considered fine and it wasn't until I just listened to my body that I figured out the diet part of it. So today I am on a gluten free, organic diet again and staying away from sugar, although I did have a piece of cake on my birthday, it was gluten free though. And while I am a far cry from where I want to be I am moving....and in the right direction no less. Not every day has been perfect in fact the last two I have felt sort of lousy again and wanted to give up but today is a new day and I'm feeling good. It's amazing what things can happen without a pill, without a drug, because in all honesty I hate taking those. I am thankful for the inspiration how all the pieces of this ginormous puzzle finally fell into place. How my brain worked enough to catch it because seriously this thyroid brain fog is awful. Now I just have to endure and continue to learn all I can. I know this journey is far from over for me. But the walk with be worth it. I don't know how to word everything right so I don't know if this makes any sense, but it is a bloomin' miracle I figured it out, finally.