Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Good News, Bad News

Well I have some good news and bad news.
The good news is that we aren't moving to Washington. The bad news is we aren't moving to Washington.
-Dave applied to a job in Washington which was an excellent learning experience for him. It would have been nice to have a change of scenery, but I am so glad to not have to move anytime soon. This is the bit of news I didn't want to share a month or so ago. It's really amazing to see the hand of God in your life and while it would have been a great opportunity I know this is where we still need to be.
The good news is Benji came home with a much harder list of spelling words. The bad news, Benji came home with a harder spelling list.
-Last week when Benji came home with a super easy spelling list I wasn't sure what to think. I was almost ready to home school him or something. But this week the words are longer than 3 letters and while they are harder he's already got most of them down and it's only Tuesday. That boy is smart, well in some things. I still can't quite get him to focus on finding his shoes that are 2 feet in front of him. We still have a lot to learn.
The good news is I am going to the temple every week. The bad news is...well there is no bad news.
-I love going to the temple. It is a sanctuary to my ailing spirit. The world can be bleak and depressing sometimes and the temple just buoys me up. It gives me the eternal perspective that I sometimes forget about. I read an interesting thought the other day about how the greatest trial we'll face is the one between "me" and "it". "Me" being my spirit and "it" being my body. I can see that sometimes. You so desperately want your body to do certain things and it won't or it automatically does things you wish it wouldn't.
The good news is I was sugar free for 19 days the bad news is I ate a few Starbursts yesterday and a little ice cream today.
-Going sugar free has been a lot easier this time around, and I didn't feel that great after eating that junk. I hope I can go for a long span again. And I hope eventually I can feel good.
Well I have had a lot of good and bad news lately I guess depending on your perspective. Isn't it interesting that the same piece of news could be both bad or good depending on how you react or take it in. I think the same could be said of anything in our lives. We can focus on the good or positives of any situation or we can focus on the negative. I try to focus on the positive because life is much more enjoyable that way and well I would much rather be happy than miserable any day.