Sunday, November 17, 2013

The Project-5 weeks to a better you

Well my 5 week project is now over. There were a lot of good things,  but because of my being sick 3 of the 5 weeks I don't feel like I reached max potential, but I am still very happy with the results. 5+ weeks ago I went to see a doctor about my health. I have been concerned lately because of it. He suggested I try a detox diet. So these past few weeks I have been working on this program and it has really changed my life. I know which foods to avoid, the ones that make me sick now. I have beat my sugar habit because I ate some Dots yesterday and I felt like I was being poisoned. It is so weird but I sort of wanted to die it was so painful. So no more candy for me, I am done. It has been one of the harder things I have done to this point but so worth the effort. I have lost 13 pounds. 10 in the first week and 3 this last week. And it was from changing the way I eat. I didn't even exercise until this last week. I was afraid I would send my body into shock or something. I still have things to figure out and foods to avoid. I found black beans don't sit well for me,  nor apricots, nor movie theater popcorn. Regular popcorn is fine though. I am almost afraid to try new foods because of the pain and discomfort it causes me, but sometimes it's nice to know what I can eat. My brother and sis-in-law also did it with me and both feel so good and have thinned down as well. I know I hope to continue to eat this way and I think they do too. It really has been amazing. So if anyone would like to know what we did and would like to try it I am willing to share and if you need moral support or someone to talk you through the low points I am willing to help. Because there will be low points, but when you push through them it is amazing.

Week 1-2: Meats. Turkey, chicken, fish, eggs. No red meat. No dairy or pork.
All vegetables. No potatoes. Yams and sweet potatoes ok. (Baked sweet potato fries saved my life a number of times) Best- mushrooms, leafy greens, cruciferous, carrots, asparagus. Avocados and tomatoes are fine. Dressings use vinegarettes
Nuts- All nuts but no peanuts.
Drinks- No soda, filtered water with lemons, green tea (didn't take that), almond milk, carrot, celery or vegetable juices.
These first two weeks are probably the hardest. I ate a lot of turkey bacon and veggies and salmon and sweet potato fries (cut into fries bake at 425° for 15 min)
Week 3- Add a new fruit a day. Best: grapefruit, oranges, kiwi, berries.
Make sure you don't go too crazy. I ate too many kinds of fruit on the first day and one ended up being not good for my system and had to figure it out another day. Also you will be shocked at the flavor of fruit. So sweet.
Week 4- Add a new legume a day. Peanuts, beans, peas, soy, lentils.
Again make sure it is one a day. I found out black beans are not my friend, but peanuts and peas are okay.
Week 5- Add cereals, pasta, bread, chips tortillas. Add a whole grain every 3 days. Corn, brown rice, amarynth etc. No wheat.
Whatever you do, DO NOT GO HUNGRY. I ate a lot. Especially the first week and then I wasn't as hungry after that.
Eat breakfast as a king, lunch as a queen and dinner as a pauper. It took me a while to get used to eating this way, but around the 4th week it became second nature.
Make sure to have lots of snacks ready. Carrots and almonds helped a lot those first few weeks. Also I had a protein shake every morning the first week and twice a day the second week. I mixed it with almond milk and cinnamon and ice blended. It's like having a treat every morning.
And after you are done maintenance is avoiding processed foods, pop, dairy, red meat and pork.
My favorite breakfast has actually become eggs with sauteed peppers, mushrooms and spinach with an avocado and salsa. Mmmmm. So good. I also like salmon burgers and the normandy style frozen veggies cooked up. I still have 20 more pounds to lose and lots more foods to figure out if I dare. But overall I would say my health has improved. My heart palpitations are gone, the pain is still there once in a while but I hope over time that will improve and if it doesn't I can go back and see my doctor again.  I am able to smell with my nose better I have more energy to clean my house and have been exercising. I am still not where I want to be. Who knows maybe I'll start over again and see if it works out better the second time. I am just thankful for blessings and for the Lord leading me to the right doctor. I am so thankful for good food that can heal and change your life from the inside out. I hope to continue eating this way permanently.