Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Change

I have been making a few changes in my life. Some are little, let's face it most are little, but I am feeling an impact. My house is a mess. I haven't kept up on the cleaning. The laundry pile doesn't seem to be shrinking. Things are sort of a mess around here, but it has been the most fun I have had with my boys in a long time. We have been out having a really fun time. And I know someday the house will be clean again, but for now I am enjoying every moment with my boys I can. And it is all due I feel to a few changes. I have been thinking a lot these past few years about me, about my health, about who I want to be, about how I want to feel. I have steadily been making changes, sacrificing some things. No more soda, no more gluten, no more sugar, sugar, no more sugar, sugar, you get the idea. My latest change involves meat. I am not becoming a vegetarian, but I have been cutting out a lot of meat from my diet. And my very best friend has become steel cut oats. We have a breakfast date every morning. And over the last month I have noticed a subtle, but profound change in me. My energy is up, especially when I don't add any sugar to my day. Oatmeal is my super food. I have been eating a lot from my garden: peaches, raspberries, zucchini, cabbage, squash, etc. I haven't lost a lick of weight, but I don't care because I am feeling better. And if I remember to take my vitamins, I feel fabulous. My friend and I are going to run together, we've only been once, but it is a plan. My mom wants to start swimming laps, so we are going to start that next week, I hope. And when the kids go back to school next week, I get to go back to my home away from home, the temple. I have missed it these last few weeks. It's so interesting to me to look back at just the last month alone. When you are in the moment it doesn't feel like anything you are doing is making a difference, but when you add it all up over the course of time, you see the impact a few small changes can have, and I am enjoying how it makes me feel.