Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Change

Sometimes change comes on really quickly, we suddenly realize something profound or we are forced to change in a life altering way through no fault of our own or perhaps even through our fault. But most of the time I think change happens gradually, through baby steps. One things leads to another, to yet another and so on until you realize you have altered your whole way of thinking, that is if you're paying attention. I have had such a change in my own life and the way I view eating. It hasn't happened all at once, although each step feels monumental. I have been curious about the Word of Wisdom, a guideline of health given to the prophet Joseph Smith in D&C 89, for a long time. I have been curious about its tenets. I have prayed and pondered on it. And for the past several years I have been slowly putting it into practice into my own life. It hasn't been easy, and I am still not sure I am completely there yet, but I am beginning to see the beauty and the vision of this inspired section. And little by little I have had people and articles and videos placed in my path that have helped me to realize the value of healthy eating. And as I watched a video a friend had posted on Facebook last week it really hit home a way of eating that I have been trying to wrap my head around for so long. And having the spirit speak to me through promptings and nudges I feel like I am in a better place than I even knew existed before.  Conventional wisdom may balk at the things I have found to be true, but it is working for me. I feel more alive and whole than I have in a while. And things are finally clicking that I had heard a year or two ago, but didn't make sense until I started to see the whole picture. It just took some time and rearranging of pieces and finding pieces until I could see more clearly what was before me. So although change may come slowly, it is a wonder to behold how far we can come. How our vision can evolve over time, especially when we have the help of the Lord. It is a marvelous thing indeed.