Friday, October 4, 2013

I went to help out in Benji's class yesterday. It was pretty fun, but at one point I had to take a boy to the office who was having a hard time in class. I didn't know what was going but I decided to help the teacher out. As we were walking down the hall I asked him if he was having a bad day. He nodded then proceeded to tell me he was sad. I asked him why. He told me his mom had forgotten his lunch. I asked if he had eaten anything  he said he had a little. My heart just dropped. I wished I had had a granola bar or fruit leather in my purse to give him. I wanted to march him over to the cafeteria and get him some lunch. I just wasn't sure what to do. No wonder he was having trouble in school. I feel awful. Kids shouldn't have to go hungry. Even if they didn't have lunch they should be able to have a free hot lunch or something. I would have gladly paid for him myself. I wish I wasn't so timid or I wish teachers were a little more interested in their students to realize the source of the problem. Kids usually have a reason for acting out. If they could spend just a few minutes of listening instead of lecturing. I know it's probably too much to ask. I just feel terrible that kids have to go hungry.